Friday, March 26, 2010

Of Digging for Nuttin'

You know, being a mom is an interesting experience, to say the least. I am so grateful I am able to be at home with my sweet little children, but I often feel like I am mentally stagnating. I have good intentions of reading the news every day, at least for a few minutes to stay up-to-date on current events, or trying to learn something new each day, or read an educational book here and there, but by the time I finish laundry, cleaning, reading to the kids, cooking, cleaning, getting kids snacks, attempting to exercise, read my scriptures, pay bills, cleaning, etc., the day is gone and I haven't added anything to my reportoire of knowledge. I get envious sometimes of the college students who get to go to class each day and learn cool things, and I have to remind myself that I have had my turn at college. Sometimes I worry about carrying on an intelligent conversation with people--I worry that my brain is functioning on a very basic "get stuff done" level, and they won't find much there if they dig too deep! Am I alone in feeling this way, or do other mothers have similar feelings? Does anyone have any suggestions on ways that have worked for them to improve their minds on a daily basis and still accomplish all the "mothering" that needs done?

1 comment:

Charity Z said...

I keep intending to sign up for an evening continuing ed class at our local CC but it's so hard to take that time away from the family. Instead, for now, I've focused on finding out what my hobbies are- what the things I really enjoy doing are, and doing them. I've discovered I love singing in the choir, reading and discussing books, gardening, and nature photography. I try to make time for several of my hobbies each week. Maybe it's not strictly educational, but at least this way, I feel like I'm more of an interesting person not just doing "mom" things all the time.