Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Of Toys and Welfare

So, among other things, I have been thinking a lot today about Christmas toy distribution to the needy. Call me a Scrooge, but I have decided I am against it. I don't mind "needs" being taken care of, but toys....no. The reason I say this is because I ran into someone who is a student at the moment with a couple of kids at home, and she was lamenting the fact that she couldn't give her kids the bikes they want for Christmas. This lady was actually quite whiny about it, and it really irritated me. I just kept thinking to myself, "Explain to your kids that one's education is worth sacrificing for, and then make it a really special "homemade" Christmas, and focus on service and the Savior." I hear of so many stories where people did just that, and it ended up being the most memorable Christmas they had ever had. However, I just think so many people in our society focus on giving gifts as an expression of their love, and not many of them have been taught to be creative with their giving...they have been taught to rely on charity and the government if they are in hard circumstances. I was thinking the other day how I would revamp the government's welfare programs if I were in charge, and I think...well, let's just say I think a lot of the people now on welfare would hate me. BUT--they would thank me in the long run! It's all about teaching a better way..

2 comments:

K La said...

I agree with you. I understand that for most people, gifts represent Christmas and that they think the more expensive the gift is, the "better" that Christmas is, but That's all wrong! I think everyone would enjoy Christmas more if it were low-key, no stress, family centered; full of love and the birth of the Savior.

Helaman said...

I often find your comments on various topics to be interesting, thought-provoking, and curiously reflective of my own. This is one of those instances. My question to you is: how do we go about getting the people on board with the modifications your regime would propose? King Mosiah comes to mind when he effectively argued for a more democratic system of government after he died. How would we go about changing the perspective of 350 million Americans, or at least enough of them to ratify and effect change?