Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Hope They Have Bajio's in Heaven

Every time Curtis and I go to Bajio's (which is never as often as I would like--would that we were born rich instead of beautiful!), he teases me because I always order the same item--their chicken green chili quesadilla. Heaven. One time, I succumbed to his taunts and ordered something different from the menu. It was o.k. (hey, could anything from Bajios not be good?!), but it just was not a chicken green chili quesadilla! My figuring is, if you have found something wonderful that you love, why change it?

Anyway, (oh joy and rapture) the other day I happened across a copycat recipe, which I will submit for your perusal. note: I have not tried it yet, so I can't guarantee any results, but I fully intend to attempt it this week after I go grocery shopping, and I will report on it then!



Bajio's Green Chile Chicken Quesadilla
INGREDIENTS
2 Grilled Chicken Breasts
1 cup Green Chile Chutney (recipe to follow)
1 cup of Caramelized Onions
1 cup Shredded Cheese (a mix of cheddar and jack cheese)
4 large Flour Tortillas
DIRECTIONS
Marinate Chicken Breasts in 1 cup of lime juice and 1 cup oil, let stand for at least two hours in the refrigerator. On a hot grill, grill the chicken until done and set aside to rest. Once the chicken has had time to rest and cool, shred into small pieces.
*
Slice 1 whole white onion into slices. In a medium saute pan, add 2 TBL spoons of oil and saute the onions until they are translucent.
*
Once the onions are done, add the shredded chicken and cup of Green Chile Chutney, and saute all together until well heated.
Warm up each tortilla and add shredded cheese to each tortilla. Spoon in warm chicken mixture and fold the tortilla over. Cut into 4 wedges and serve.

Bajio's Green Chile Chutney

INGREDIENTS
3 large annaheim peppers, halved, seeds removed
1 - 2 jalapeno peppers, halved, seeds removed
4 oz. can diced green chiles
5-7 tomatillos, husks removed
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
dash of chili powder
dash of cumin
dash of salt
1 large sweet onion, halved

Place peppers, tomatillos, and onion on baking sheet/rack. Roast in 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until nicely browned. Place tomatillos and about 1/4 cup onion in blender and process until mostly smooth. Dice peppers. Add all ingredients except the remaining onion into a large pot. Cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes or until thickened and reduced. Add more sugar/peppers to adjust the spiciness/sweetness to taste.
For Carmelized Onions:
Slice the remaining onion and saute with a little bit of the green chile sauce over medium-low heat until carmelized.

No comments: