Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Of Hot Rods and Designer Clothes

Isn't it ironic that when we are young and want the fancy cars, designer clothes, and expensive "toys," we can't afford them, and then later in life, when we can afford them, we just don't care about stuff like that as much. (At least I don't--I'm sure others would beg to differ.) Curtis and I have experienced this same type of thing with our house. For the last three+ years we have lived in a beautiful, large house on 1/2 an acre, right by the Rexburg temple. At first, it was a wonderful novelty, as we had previously been in small apartments the entirety of our married lives. Now, I look back, and I am grateful that we've lived here--it's been perfect for us, and we've loved playing host to all the family members who have passed through, but I just don't care about the size any more. I don't care about a big house or yard, because I know how much work and expense goes in to maintaining them. I still want to have a beautiful house, because I find that being surrounded by beauty brings peace and tranquility to my soul, but as far as the size, I could care less. My only hope for whatever place we find to move to in California, is that we will have a little room for visitors, because I love to see friends and family. Other then that...I am happy with pretty much whatever!

I love Baloo the Bear from "Jungle Book" when he sings his song, "Bare Necessities." Isn't that all we really need to be happy--the bare necessities? Food, clothes, a place to live, friends and family, and most importantly, the gospel? I guess other things are niceties, but it's all about the bare necessities of life! Da da dada...da! Yeah!

No comments: