Sunday, January 16, 2011

Of Old Testament and Lessons Learned

I am often not very good at setting and accomplishing long-term goals, but I was proud of one that I did do this past year. I finished the Old Testament in it's entirety. I've read it once before as a teenager, but it had been a while, (o.K., a loooonnng while!) so I thought I would give it another go. I don't think I will do it again though, at least not with a time limit, or while my kids are little. I found that I had to read so much each day that I didn't have the time to ponder some of the really beautiful and meaningful passages that I could have spent days on. (I will admit too, there were many of the "drier" sections that got skimmed!) I also, because of the fast pace I had to maintain the entire year, didn't have much time to read any other scriptures. Consequently, I think I limited my spiritual growth this last year for the sake of accomplishing my goal. Oh well, lesson learned. This year I have decided to study topically. I am excited to learn a lot!

No comments: