Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lazy Momma's Beans

BY POPULAR DEMAND...LAZY MOM'S AMAZING BEANS!

O.K., so only one person has requested this recipe, but if more people tasted it, I'm sure I would have more requests...(-: So before you ask me to bring you dinner, here you are:

(A quick note first)
When I was in Japan, I had association with several Brazilians who taught me how to make THE MOST amazing beans I had ever eaten. They call this daily fare "feijao." There are a gazillion different recipes on the internet for these beans, but here is my adapted "Lazy Mom's" version, that comes together in literally about 2 minutes. My family all loves them, even the kids!



Into a strainer, I pour however many dry beans I want to cook (my favorite are black, but pinto are also good) and rinse them. I like to make a huge batch at a time because they freeze really well. I then dump the beans into a large crock pot, covering them with water. I like to have the water several inches above the beans, because the beans will expand quite a bit.

*note--I never presoak my beans and they always turn out fine--remember, these are lazy mom beans! (If your beans are old, however, you will need to pre-soak them or pressure cook them.) Also, if your family does not eat beans often, be forewarned that if you do not soak your beans, you may have a...musical and fragrant evening. Not a problem if you eat beans frequently, though.

Anyway, on that note, I then add beef bullion--follow the amounts listed on your can to see how much you will need for the amount of water you put in. Then I put in a few shakes of:

Pepper
Salt
Garlic Powder (lots)
Onion Powder (lots)

and several whole bay leaves--the bay leaves are the kicker, so don't leave them out!

Then I let this simmer for several hours until the beans are soft. YUM!

I like to blend some of these beans up with an immersion blender for an amazing black bean soup, as well. Add a sprinkle of cheese, a dallop of Greek yogurt and some cilantro, a few crispy tortilla strips, and voila! A quick, delicious dinner, and hopefully leftover beans to use in tortillas for lunches throughout the week!

No comments: