Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Of Deviled Eggs and Spider Webs

Well, it's the big election day! Curtis and I were just reminiscing about when we were teenagers and we would stay up until the vote was determined. I remember laying in my bed with my little radio right up by my ear so no one else would hear it, listening as each state's vote was tallied. I am a little more patient now. Or maybe a little more old and lazy. I am just fine waiting until tomorrow morning to find out who won.

Yesterday was delightful--we invited our good friends the Williams family over for an "election dinner." I made up ballots with different choices for each food course and passed them out to everyone before hand. Each person voted for what they thought we should have for dinner, and that's what I made. Thanks to the Williams, we had a great lazagna dinner! Myron informed me that he wanted to do a write-in for steak, but I told him too bad for him, he must not have campaigned hard enough! Afterwards, we watched a movie of the making of the constitution. I LOVE that movie--it's a full-length version done by BYU, and I have to say, it is incredible, and very well done. Curtis commented that it should be shown in theaters, that's how good it is! My favorite part of the movie is when all the state's delegates are in assembly, and everyone is bickering and arguing heatedly about the issue of representation. Ben Franklin stands up and everyone quiets down to hear what he has to say. He then asks everyone (paraphrased) "How is it that we have forgotton to importune our Creator for help in this matter? If the Maker of the universe sees every sparrow that falls to the ground, surely we should include Him in our efforts to create a great nation..." I love that, and oh, how I love our country. God bless the U.S.A.

In other news, Halloween was wonderful this year. Mom called about a week before and asked if they could come up for a visit. Of course I said yes, but then I had to actually put up a few more decorations then the lone spider web in Arden's bedroom. Curtis got really into it and made a ghost on a zip line, a ghoul by our front door with a microphone in it, so he could make creepy sounds and scare trick-or-treaters, a Jack-o-lantern spewing fog, and, oh, yes, a web cam aimed at our front door so he could watch people's reactions from all of this. Halloween is such a fun holiday! Arden was so cute, because after he got back from trick-or-treating, he would run up to the door when someone rang it and offer them candy from his own basket. Such a cute kid! We dressed him and Maile up as "deviled eggs." Arden really wanted to use the doggie costume Grandma Nielsen sent him last year, but I wouldn't let him because I liked my deviled egg idea. Lest one think I am an insensitive selfish mother, I will say that it was also way too short on him. Maybe I can get Grandma to make Arden another costume for next year. It was really cute, I have to say. It was one she had made for Curtis when he was three and she had saved it for 30 years. Wow!

No comments: