Friday, November 14, 2008

Of Painting and Pressure

Aargh....Oh why was I not born a Texan?! I was so excited to make a great steak tonight, but alas, I am sitting here eating it as I write and my jaw is getting sore--that's how tough it is. I even followed explicit instructions from Charity on how to cook it (who, I am still amazed, knew everything there was to know about the particular cut of meat I bought. In all fairness, she has the added advantage of being married to a Texan.). Oh, well, at least my Roasted Browned-Butter Asparagus with Balsamic Vinegar turned out splendidly. (Thanks, Lynn!)

Today has been a delightful day, despite my sweetheart being gone. (He is on business 'til the 20th.) I had the opportunity to go out with the sister missionaries, and it was fantastic! Living in Rexburg, our chances to do that come few and far between. It is amazing to me how the Lord prepares people to teach his children. For example, a few days ago I spent a lot of time pondering the decision making process, and how to know if feelings are from the Spirit, or just one's own thoughts. I was able to flip right to the scriptures I had been studying to help resolve a concern of the gal we taught. I love that! I also realized a few things. First of all, I HATE when I feel pressured by someone to do something. It really bugs me. I imagine others feel the same, and so it really bothered me that one of the sisters said (and I quote) "The reason we are pressuring you to get baptized is so you can have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost." Aarrgh! First of all, in my opinion, you should NEVER pressure someone to do something of that significance, and if you have to pressure them, there are obviously some concerns that need to be resolved. Secondly, saying something like that puts such a negative connotation to it. I believe that if one is to be baptized, it should be because they are excited and joyous about the things they are learning, and WANT to be baptized. Anyway, enough of that...It really was a delightful afternoon. The highlight of our appointment with this gal was when her roommate bore testimony of the gospel. It was so powerful and beautiful. I love the gospel!

Only six more days 'til Curtis gets home!

I'd better get going on my big kitchen painting project. I am painting it maroon, and I'm going to try doing some sort of faux treatment on it. I am very excited! Kids are in bed...Hasta la pasta!

No comments: