Friday, January 2, 2009

Of New Years Resolutions

So, it is now a new year, but this year, I refuse to succumb to the temptation to set 3,000 goals for myself, which I know I will not be able to accomplish. No, this year I have determined to only set one goal, and that is to have a weekly planning and personal evaluation session with myself. I have determined that so much of life is simply reacting to circumstances, rather then planning and acting on what you would like to see happen, and I believe this stunts our personal growth more then we realize and keeps us from reaching our full potential. In these planning sessions, I will set weekly goals in regards to exercise, plan activities with the kids, dates with Curtis, and other things of a more personal and religious nature I would like to improve on.

In looking back on the past year, I have to say that overall, I am pleased with the progress we have made as a family, and I have made as an individual, although the nature of life is that one can always do better. We have also made good progress with finishing our basement, and we have a good plan in place for what we would like to see happen with our landscaping. It is hard to be patient in finishing everything, but we are trying to be wise with our finances and not overextend ourselves!

In changing the subject, man, I am getting old! I went to bed at 9:30 on New Year's Eve! What is my problem?! To be fair, the night before I stayed up past midnight watching Stargate episodes with Curtis, and then during the day, we drove to Jackson Hole and went swimming at their rec center for three hours. (Which was AMAZING! Two waterslides, a waterfall, kiddie area, and best of all, the water was 92 degrees!) I guess that wears one out. We put the kids down as soon as we got home, then we played a couple of games of Mystery of the Abbey with Alli (which was thoroughly enjoyable!). That was our night, and I have to say, it was so relaxing.

I also have to say, I am so excited to go and visit Charity and Dave in Arizona for 6 weeks. It will be nice to get away from the dreariness of winter in Rexburg, and what better company could one have?! Char and I are planning to do a little preschool for Arden and Ellie, as well as lots of projects on their new house! They got a really good deal on a foreclosure in an upscale neighborhood, but apparently the previous owners trashed the place, so it sounds like their work will be cut out for them. I do love doing projects like that, though, so it should be fun!

Today, I used a coupon from Curtis that I got in my stocking a couple of years ago for "Mom's Time Off," so I have had the day to myself, while Curtis has taken care of the kids. What an awesome husband I have! I have gotten so much done--I love it! As soon as one of my current woodworking projects is completed, I will post pics on my blog. I also got to read my scriptures for an hour, sleep in until 8:00, work on a couple of sewing projects, arrange for several bids on the plumbing in our basement, clean my room, and watch a movie...and the night is still young! Oh, Curtis, I love you!

No comments: