Monday, March 16, 2009

Of Happiness Amidst the Vicissitudes of Life

Oh, life is wonderful. I say this even after having had an interesting discussion on the state of affairs in our country with my backyard neighbor. I am reminded of Lehi's family in the wilderness. Nephi viewed their travels as a joyful time, where "they lived after the manner of happiness," whereas Jacob, his younger brother, thought that period of time was pretty miserable. He must have been a youngest child--a little spoiled!

Let me tell you some of the reasons why my life is wonderful.

First of all, I am going to be an Auntie again! YES! My sister-in-law, Kayla, announced that she is expecting a baby in September. It is particularly joyful news, especially considering that it was very unexpected.

Secondly, I have the greatest husband in the world--he is so patient and understanding, wise, and, well, I'd better stop there, as I could go on all night if I get started. Right now he is putting the kids to bed and telling them their nightly "Arden and Maile" story.

Thirdly, I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. Love it. It is so amazing to me, and so perfect in its simplicity. I love knowing that we have a Father in Heaven who is mindful of us, and is still calling the shots in these troubling times. The silver lining to this dark economic cloud is that people all over the country are turning more to Christ. I love how Heavenly Father can turn bad situations to good. Speaking of which, I went to a stake meeting last night on Provident Living, and we talked a lot about how the Lord's welfare plan is supposed to work. It is so wonderful--everyone's needs are taken care of, while avoiding the evils of the dole. If only our government would adopt a similar plan.

Fourth, I got to spend a wonderful half a week with my beautiful mother-in-law and grandmother. I was also so happy to see a lot of Cherstin and her amazing boyfriend, Jordan. (He really is amazing--we all just love him!) They are a delight to be around, and keep us feeling young.

Fifth, I get a double bonus this month--my Mom and sister, Anona, (and maybe Kayla?) are coming down this weekend for an "education day" at the college, which I am very excited about. I have my class choices narrowed down to four per hour. Aarrghhh...the classes always sound so interesting, it is hard to choose!

Sixth, I am actually glad to live in Rexburg. Yes, I am glad to be here, Curtis. The economy is suffering all over the country, yet this is a little safe haven of sorts, amidst the chaos. People and businesses have seemed in general to manage their finances very well here, and so we have not been nearly as affected as the rest of the country....yet...I'm guessing we'll feel the hurt soon enough, but I feel like we can take care of each other here in Rexburg. Our stake president, in our meeting last night, said that we are a "breadbasket" of the church. After meeting the financial needs of the poor in our own area, we are able to send %70 of our stake's fast offering donations on to Salt Lake for distribution to others in need. What a blessing we have had such abundance, and I hope we as a community can live righteously enough to merit the continued blessings of our Savior.

So, those are a few of the many things I am grateful for. Mostly, I am grateful for the wonderful relationships in my life. How blessed I am.

1 comment:

K La said...

Wow!! 70%??!! That is amazing!! Well, thanks for giving to the rest of the world! You (and your stake) are amazing!!