Monday, March 16, 2009

Of Weight Gain and Exercise

I learned something interesting from Cherstin (sister-in-law) this month. (She just graduated from the nursing program, so she is now all-knowing and all-wise.) I asked her why people tend to gain weight after they start exercising. It is very discouraging for people trying to lose weight. Anyway, she explained to me that the first week or so after one begins an exercise program, one generally loses a little weight because one's body can't keep up with the increased caloric needs from your exercise. However, your body then decides it needs to store every spare calorie it can get a hold of, to keep up with the increased demand. BUT--if one sticks with the program through the weight gain, the body eventually readjusts itself, and decides, "Hey, it's o.k. I can do this," and you lose weight again. Besides which, your metabolism changes as well.

Anyway, I don't know if I explained that very well, but hopefully it made sense.

No comments: