Friday, March 6, 2009

Of Nepal, Gay, and a Mad, Mad World

Well, I am home again. Other then the house smelling slightly funny (perhaps due to the 8 or 9 moldy items Curtis left in the fridge) and several of my houseplants dead, everything was pretty much in order. Curtis and our friends, the Williams, had made the kids and I some really cute "welcome home" signs, which were hung around the house to greet us. Good thing I have such an incredibly wonderful husband, or I would probably have not left the warmth of Arizona! It is good to be back with my Sweetheart again, though!

So, I have a bit to catch up on--I need to be more consistant with my writing, but here goes.

Cool news item. My amazing father-in-law, Bob, is off to Nepal again, this time for a medical mission. He is going with Randy Baker(of course), as well as a group of doctors. He is also bringing along 250 school kits that the ladies in the Longmont Relief Society assembled. Kudos to them, and yeah for Bob! You are an inspiration to us all, Bob. We love you! Here is the website if anyone wants to track their progress on the trip. http://www.healthanded4nepal.org/ Enjoy!

Since Bob will be gone until the 23rd of March, Gay decided to travel around a bit on her way to bring Grandma Veatch back to Logan. As of right now, the plan is that she and Grandma will be staying with us next week, which we are very excited about! Just as an aside, I have to comment on how blessed I am to have the in-laws I do. All the stereotypical in-law jokes? I just don't relate to them at all!

Speaking of Gay, last week was her birthday. I wrote her a poem, which I hope she doesn't mind if I post on my blog. (I have to brag about her a little!) I think she is the most amazing lady ever.

Ode to Gay

Now my husband is sweet, oh yes it's true,
But Gay? She's as amazing as the sky is blue.

She sews and makes beautiful quilts by the score,
Her cooking's unparalleled, need I say more?

She plays the piano like an angel above,
And her heart is filled with laughter and love.

She likes to go camping and hiking as well,
This mother of mine--she's really quite swell!

She's always exercising, so she's fit as a fiddle--
an inspiration to us who are stuck in the middle!

She's always out helping and serving someone,
and to be around Gay is always such fun!

To her children and grandkids she sends lovely clothes,
And packages and cards--her love really shows!

She's got five lovely children whom she's raised so well,
And her grandkids adore her, it's easy to tell.

Her triple Trio group is delightful to hear--
People come for her singing from far and from near.

The Spirit we feel when we enter her home
Is hard to find anywhere else we may roam.

In short, I'm so grateful and proud to know Gay
And I'd like to wish her a happy birthday.

Although I love Curtis and I'd have no other,
I married my sweetheart 'cuz I love his mother!

.......................................................................................

As you can see, she is a pretty special lady. One more thing, which I think is neat, is that she is taking Spanish classes at the local college. How cool is that?! I have been so thankful for both of my mothers for their example in their love of learning. I hope I can pass that on to my kids as well.

O.K., changing the subject, Charity and I had a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World movie night while I was visiting her, and I have been dying to post some of my favorite quotes. (For those of my readers who are not familiar with the Christiansen side of the family, this movie could easily be called our family theme movie. In fact, I remember a couple of family reunions where some of the dinner entertainment was to have a Mad Mad World "quote off" competition!)

Alright. Here we go. For your maximum quote-reading enjoyment, I will put in parenthesis the accent you should use.

(Say this first quote in a bossy, naggy sort of voice.)
"English? You're English? You sound like some sort of un-American foreigner."

(British accent) "Have a care...that chap's run absolutely amuk!"
(Same) "No matter what the outcome of this day, I shall never forget that you hit me when I wasn't even looking."

(Say this in a slightly nasal voice) "Now look, we've figured this 17 different ways, and no matter how we figured it, somebody don't like the way we figured it. So now there's only one way to figure it,....and that's 'every man for himself, and every woman for himeself too!'--except for you lady, may you just drop dead!"
(Interjection) "Alright, alright, now we're all agreed on that."

(This is a "desperate father's" voice) "Listen to your mother, Billy Sue, listen to your mother!"

Well, I'd better stop for now. I'll post more if any other particularly funny quotes come to mind. The movie is full of them!

2 comments:

Charity Z said...

You forgot my favorite quote! Russell:"Wait a minute, are you knocking this country? Are you saying something against America?"

Hawthorne: Against it? I should be positively astounded to hear anything that could be said FOR it. Why the whole bloody place is the most unspeakable matriarchy in the whole history of civilization! Look at yourself! The way your wife and her strumpet of a mother push you through the hoop! As far as I can see, American men have been totally emasculated- they're like slaves! They die like flies from coronary thrombosis while their women sit under hairdryers eating chocolates & arranging for every 2nd Tuesday to be some sort of Mother's Day! And this infantile preoccupation with bosoms. In all time in this Godforsaken country, the one thing that has appalled me most of all this this prepostrous preoccupation with bosoms. Don't you realize they have become the dominant theme in American culture: in literature, advertising and all fields of entertainment and everything. I'll wager you anything you like that if American women stopped wearing brassieres, your whole national economy would collapse overnight.

Hee hee miss ya sis!

Anna Marie said...

I knew I was forgetting the best one! Tell me, is all that from memory, or did you have to rewatch it to get it just right? (-;

(I would guess it's from memory, but I have to ask!)