Thursday, November 15, 2012

Diet of the Gods, Part 3

I am currently in the middle of an outstanding book I bought entitled Disease-Proof Your Child by a Dr. Joel Fuhrman, who is a father of four, and a practicing family doctor.  (He also authored the national bestseller Eat to Live.) This fellow is the doctor people come to or bring their kids to after they have tried every other doctor/medication without the results they were hoping for.  Guess what?  He is also the one who is able to get to the root of the problem and actually fix it!  What is the secret to his remarkable success?  It is incredibly simple.  He has the whole family come in to the initial consultation for the person who is to be treated and prescribes a plant based diet for the entire family.  In nearly every instance, the problem is able to be cured.  He writes that thus far in his 15+ (I think!) year practice, it has been rare that he has had to pick up his prescription pad and write out a prescription.  He has treated and cured hundreds of ADD/ADHD kids with this method, with predictable results, (meaning within a certain time frame) as well as asthma, allergies, recurring ear infections, severe acne, and a host of other maladies.  I think I have every page of his book that I have read so far marked!  This is just so cool to me, and so incredibly simple I can hardly believe it.
I would highly recommend that anyone with kids purchase this book. Although his recommendations are simple, he goes through the science behind each of the illnesses he treats, and explains what causes it, and why and how his recommendation to eat a plant based diet works. This is just fascinating to me!

 I think I should have been a dietician.

No comments: